Smartphone battery explosion kills 12-year old in India:
A report from Indian news outlets went viral when the family gave a statement on the Smartphone Battery Explosion that killed their 12-year old child. The smartphone that the 12-year old owned, which was a Xiaomi branded device, was put on charger when the battery of the phone suddenly exploded. The 12-year-old was a resident of Likhedi village that is around 10 km away from Badnawar town in Dhar district, Madhya Pradesh. Lakhan Singar, the victim of the explosion, had just returned home and put his smartphone on charge right the battery exploded and killed him, according to police statements.
Throwing more light on the incident, one of Lakhan’s relatives, said, “We heard some sound. Someone said it was a blast. We came running inside the house and saw the child lying on the floor; there were pieces of the charger, too.”
After the battery exploded Lakhan’s uncle rushed him to a nearby hospital where he was declared dead. “His uncle rushed inside the house when he heard the explosion, he took him to the hospital where he died,” CB Singh a senior police officer said.
The report further suggested that the intensity of the battery explosion was too high. So much so, that ever the switchboard where the charger was plugged in was blown to pieces. The original report did not state the brand of the device, it was later revealed during a secondary police investigation.